Like Us On Facebook

Monday, October 31, 2011

Double Duty today

Hi Friends,

I pray you are having a lovely Monday!  I used to dread Mondays -- the stress, the work week starting over, all that stuff -- but now I love Mondays because of the blessing of the ladies in my Bible Study group.  They are amazing - deep, thoughtful and have a fire burning in them to passionately grow in Christ...gotta love Mondays with a combination like that!  :)

I titled this blog "Double Duty" because I'm including a couple of recipes at the end...just so that makes a little bit of sense and because it's Halloween, I thought a fun and easy snack food and a quick dessert might be in order...hope you enjoy them!.

Today, in Bible study, we talked about something that I'd like to share with you.  We are doing Beth Moore's "Stepping Up" study but we are taking it very slowly and we've all been amazed at the things that God is showing us through His beautiful Psalms of the Ascent and the feasts and celebrations that are part of the Jewish faith and traditions.

Out of our study of Psalm 125 today came the topics of trust, God's protection and attention, and His power over evil.  Timely subject given the time of year don't you think??  Beth makes a statement in one part that I found to be quite profound.  "Beloved, if God isn't more powerful than all the combined evil in the universe, then we are a pitiful people indeed."  Isn't that so true?  Sometimes we can get so caught up in and focused on the resident evil that dwells here and affects us, that we forget that God is completely aware of all of it and has already overcome it all.  It's so easy to become short-sighted when there is a major crisis, tragedy or injustice in our close circle and we can quickly give up or worse, get so angry that we lose control of rational thought or action.  We become incapable of forgiveness and fall into the trap of trying to fix or control things ourselves.  Ever been there?  I know I have.

Toward the end of our time today, Beth wrote about the hedge of protection that the Massai people in Africa put around their camps to keep the prowling lions and predators away.  It's basically a hedge of thorns or thorny bushes that repel dangerous animals.  As long as the people stay inside those thorn bushes, they remain safe from the attacks of the vicious and hungry animals.  The next word picture she paints is a picture of the crown of thorns that Jesus wore on His precious Head.  She asks us to put those tough situations, those people we are concerned about who are either lost or saved inside the crown of thorns to gain a visual image of their protection because of our prayers.  But as I was preparing for today's lesson, God began to show me something more about that crown of thorns.  Because Jesus was our sacrificial lamb and there is so much significance of the details tied to prophecy, His life, death and resurrection, I began to wonder if His crown had a deeper, more personal meaning than something that was jammed into Jesus' head by cruel men.  Of course there is obvious significance of the pain of the thorns in his head, the blood shed, the crown for a king, the tears, etc.  But if we look at that crown as a symbol of the hedge of protection around us, I'd like to suggest that each thorn represents something painful in the life of a Christian and maybe even our sin that pierced His blessed head on our behalf.

Could it be that each of those thorns that God uses to build the hedge around us is the pain in our lives?  Could it be that the reason for the pain is to protect us from the things we cannot see - the war around us that isn't flesh and blood -- but principalities of darkness and evil (Ephesians 6:12)?  If you were to write down the hurts and pains, sadness, bad things, unrealized dreams, disappointments, etc. in your life, would you be able to see that God protected you not only in the bad thing - but from something worse because of it?

Here are some examples from my own life that might help you to see where I'm coming from...

If I made a list of some of the disappointments in my life I could list things like, "death of a loved one, loss of beloved pets, not making cheerleader in high school, loss of a young friend and godly father of 3 at the age of 45 to cancer, loss of my father to liver cancer, my father's incarceration at 82 years old, my husband's unemployment, my own deadly infection from surgery, perfectionist nature, self-scrutinizing to a fault, eating disorder as a teen, depression, major financial difficulties, etc. etc... but if I step away from it and look at it from an "aerial view" outside my circumstances - could I see that God protected me from something much worse than those painful things and drew me in closer through that painful protection?  Could it be that the memories of those painful things in my life serve as a reminder that I am protected by His thorns?  Could it be that those thorns in our lives prick our hearts when we try to stray and we're reminded that there's an enemy lurking outside that protection?

I'd like to encourage you to take a look at this picture -- and write down the big things in your life that concern you right now -- whether it's a health issue, financial issue, a lost friend or family member or a saved person or family member who God has laid on your heart ...write that down in the middle of that crown.  And then focus on the thorns - begin to name a painful event or thing in your life at each thorn -- the big pains on the big thorns and then the smaller hurts on the smaller thorns.  The thorns that point inward toward the center could be the "active hurts" or things that concern you right now.  Maybe they are on-going.  Don't hurry through this exercise.  Ask God to show you how He has formed this hedge of protection that surrounds you.  One of the ladies told about Corrie Ten Boom learning to be grateful for fleas because the soldiers wouldn't come in to take or attack them because of them.  Maybe there are irritants in your (or my) own life that God has placed there for our protection like those fleas.  They are annoying things (or people) who just won't go away...but hover constantly and maybe even bite or suck life out of us just like those fleas. 

Remember that God's thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways and though the "blessing in the thorns" is very poetic, it's also very real.  I'd have ruined my voice if I had been a cheerleader in high school.  I had no idea that God would call me to sing for His glory - but He knew and preserved me for such a time as this.  God has told you no as well.  He's allowed hurt for your own good too.  There are lessons to be learned in this crown of thorns - this hedge of protection.  And I believe that it's significantly big to God that we learn them or they wouldn't be such a graphic picture of the pain that Jesus endured so we might be saved...to satisfy the debt for sin.  Those thorns weren't splinters - but even splinters hurt too. 

I'm not seminary educated nor do I call myself a theologian by any stretch of the imagination.  But I believe the Holy Spirit teaches His children according to His will and today I believe this came from Him.  I'm at a bittersweet place in my life and I know that God has placed a hedge of protection around me and around those I love.  I believe I could spend hours or even days looking at the painful things in my life through spiritual eyes to see not just a crown of thorns but a true hedge of thorns that have protected me since I invited Jesus into my life as a young child.  I believe that tears would flow down my cheeks to see the love that has been poured over my life in this protection and I believe the same would happen to you if you went through this same exercise.

Looking back can be painful especially to those who have experienced trauma, abuse, illness, abandonment, etc. as children - but the fact that you're reading this tells me that you are a miracle if you were victimized as a young one.  All of God's promises are true, dear friend.  God sees and knows the evil that lurks in the dark places of our lives and on this earth.  Allow His light into that darkness and His protection to cover you and surround you through your pain.  Psalm 125 is so relevant to this world today -- give it a good read -- and be encouraged, loved, and blessed by doing so -- May God bless you this day and always!!  Keep reading...here are some fun recipes for tonite or anytime, really!

Easy Caramel Corn - by Sandra Lee of Food Network's "Semi-Homemade"
2 bags microwave popcorn (lightly buttered is best)
1/2 stick unsalted butter (4 tablespoons)
3/4 cup sugar
3 T. water
1 1/2 t. cinnamon

Pop popcorn in microwave and toss in large bowl (or 2 bowls -- don't over fill -- you need room to mix caramel)
In a small saucepan, melt butter on medium heat.  When melted add sugar, water and cinnamon and stir well.  Bring to a boil.  Boil for 4 minutes without stirring (increase heat if necessary).  Remove from heat and pour half into the popcorn (drizzle around over the top).  Toss with a wooden spoon (IT's HOT!!!)  Pour remainder in and mix again.  Toss to break it apart and keep going till mixture cools to touch.  Serve when ready -- DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy Blueberry Shortcake Sundaes  - by Amy Drinkwater

1 box Blueberry Muffin mix (I recommend the one with real blueberries and streusel topping)
1 bottle blueberry syrup or diluted blueberry jam
Vanilla Ice Cream
Whipped topping (I like the kind in the can - Redi-whip)
Toasted pecans, fresh blueberries for garnish (mint too if you'd like something green)

Make muffins according to package directions (don't use paper muffin liners) or pre-baked muffins - just won't be as good....trust me!  While still warm, not hot, split muffin horizontally (lift off the muffin top) and put a little bit of the syrup onto the bottom part.  Top with a scoop of ice cream and place muffin top on the ice cream.  Top with Whipped topping and drizzle syrup over this to run down sides.  (Hint: holding spoon about 4 to 6 inches above this will let a lighter stream flow and a prettier presentation.  Sprinkle nuts, berries over the top and finish with a pretty sprig of mint for garnish.

Makes an ordinary breakfast bread into a lovely quick dessert that's quite yummy too!

Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment