Like Us On Facebook

Thursday, February 23, 2012

How do we manage loneliness?

I meet with some precious ladies on Mondays to study God's Word.  This past Monday, there was a mention that more people (especially women) are lonely this day and age than ever before.  How can this be?  We are busy, we work, we worship, we gather together for Girls' Nights Out, we have social media, cell phones, computers, technology, exercise classes and I could go on and on...but you know, I found myself completely agreeing with this statement.

There are so many days that I am surrounded by people, interacting with people and busy and yet there is a sense of overwhelming loneliness that covers me to a point that I think I might weep.  It's not depression -- it's true loneliness.  It's as if I don't matter, fit in anywhere, belong to a group or connect regardless of who I'm with or where I am.  Do you ever feel this way?

Just this evening I was in a familiar place that I love and had returned to a group I've been a part of for over 20 years but because of the nature of what I do now, I'm not a regular attender to this group anymore.  I sat on the front row and when it came time to be dismissed there were several others who were welcomed and missed for being absent, but the person who welcomed them didn't seem to even notice that I was there.  I'm not a small person, but at that point I felt invisible and as if I didn't matter or that it didn't matter if I was there or not.

I'm not a high maintenance person and I won't dwell on what happened - and others acknowledged me later but for that moment, I felt out of place and very lonely.

I know that there are seasons in our lives where we will have to walk alone - whether it's in the loss of a spouse, the call to singleness, standing on a conviction when others don't, or just being tested in the wilderness as Jesus was.  The Holy Spirit is our constant companion and Comforter, but there are times when even God feels so distant.  Our prayers are heard but go unanswered - our friends and family don't understand or can't relate to what we're going through - it's just a void of relationships or closeness.

Why does this happen - I don't know.  Does this happen to everyone?  I honestly think it does at some point.    We have to be careful when this type of thing occurs, because the enemy loves to isolate us so he can mess with our minds.  He will use discouragement to bind us from moving forward and he can cause us to stumble if we allow the isolation to cause us to attempt to deaden our pain through unhealthy measures (i.e. drugs, alcohol, food, and worse)...

What can we do about it?  Well, the first thing would be to pray a lot.  Not those formal prayers - but the personal communication -- cry out to the Father.  Ask Him to comfort you during this time of loneliness and fill you as no one can.  The second thing would be to stay in His Word.  Read Psalms, Proverbs, Romans -- all such encouraging books.  Read Christian literature.  If the weather is pretty get outside and walk or spend time in a beautiful park -- if it's not pretty outside, rest.  It may be that your body just needs to rest and God has given you the opportunity to do so.  Another way to fight loneliness is to seek out ways to help others.  Look for places to volunteer, visit the elderly or children's homes - pour your life into others.

As soon as you are able, find a way to connect with other people - especially a body of believers who love you and care about you.  Don't allow yourself to be paralyzed by loneliness.  It may be appropriate for a season - but it's not God's design for His people.  We are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves and where two or more are gathered in His Name there He will be also.  We are on a journey and we don't need to travel alone - it's not safe or necessary over the long haul.  We are reminded that a cord of three strands is not easily broken...(Hebrews 10:25; Matthew 18:20; Ecclesiastes 4:12)

I would say that if you have ever experienced loneliness, be mindful that there are others who live in that state more often than not.  Make a conscious effort to notice others and make them feel welcome.

Please understand, I'm not hurt that I wasn't recognized or noticed in this gathering this evening.  It was just a temporary situation that over the long haul won't matter all that much.  But it did serve as a reminder that I need to be more aware of others who may feel lonely too.

I've had one of those weeks that if I could, I'd like to make it or myself disappear.  But like all things - this, too, shall pass.

I pray you are all having a good week and that blessings abound.  Make someone's day by giving them a hug or word of encouragement - you might just be their cure for loneliness!  Until next time, be blessed in the Name of the Lord...

No comments:

Post a Comment