Like Us On Facebook

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

They That Wait Upon the Lord - part 2

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31


Thanks for coming back - this one has taken much longer to write than I planned -- so much to tell - but wanted it to be something that would hold your attention.  This installment is about trusting God -- we thought we had a plan of action and a schedule and it all seemed great but God had much different plans for us -- we didn't quite have the same map He did...but His ways are always best!

We pick up on Sunday afternoon February 9, 2014 -- After our wonderful experience in Ft. Lauderdale, we loaded the bus to transfer over to the beautiful Miami Airport Hilton where we would spend the evening awaiting our transport to the Carnival "Ecstasy" the next day.  Upon arrival, our rooms weren't quite ready so we enjoyed each other's company spending some down time hanging out in the lobby.  Here's a view from my room:

Once everyone got checked in a large group of us ventured out to a popular restaurant near the airport called the 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant (http://www.94thmiami.com/). It was so good and so much fun!  Here's what my dinner looked like!  It was Argentinian skirt steak with an amazing sauce and sides. For dessert, I had Key Lime Pie -- the perfect balance of sweet and tartness -- capping off a wonderful dinner of laughter and bonding with our Metro Big Band Family.

Heading back to the hotel, we spent the rest of the evening rehearsing our music individually and preparing our hearts and minds for the adventure ahead.  Our itinerary would start early the next day boarding the ship and then our first concert for the crew of the Carnival Ecstasy! We were so excited in anticipation of having the opportunity to reach out to so many people from so many different cultures (over 70 different countries).  

"They shall run and not grow weary"...

Loading the bus to head to the ship was an adventure in itself. Can I just say - Musicians have a LOT of gear! When we arrived at the dock, we proceeded through a series of rooms, getting our check-in materials and then having a small briefing where we learned some news that was disappointing to say the least.

We found out that the Ecstasy was up for internal audit on this particular voyage so at least one if not both of the crew concerts was cancelled.  The internal audit meant that the crew's attendance at the concerts, even very late at night, might be impossible but for only a few.  We were a little stunned because we were certain that this was our major target group to share God's gospel with AND the crew had asked for these concerts!  But we trusted that God had a plan and we were right in the center of it. Mark, our band manager was able to work through some channels to find a venue on board that would be available for us for us to rehearse and hopefully do a short concert late on Monday evening, so we were encouraged some, but still not sure what God had in mind as far as our shipboard ministry.  
We had a relaxed lunch and enjoyed the afternoon.  We set sail around 4:30 to a breathtaking seaside view of Miami and the beautiful ocean amidst fun music and dancing and anticipation of the week ahead.  Here's a look at my beautiful view:  

Soon we were setting up and preparing for a concert in the "Starlight Lounge".  The stage was small and the venue was dark as might be expected.  There were a few people milling about - some crew and some passengers and we were enjoying the rehearsal time when I noticed a young man sitting alone in one of the booths watching every move we made and listening intently to the songs we practiced.  
There was a tune in our song list that was a little low for me to sing and we were considering our options for it.  I felt a gentle nudge from the Holy Spirit to go and talk to this young man. So while the band was rehearsing another number I walked over and shook his hand and introduced myself.  I noticed he had on a name badge on and was a member of the Carnival crew.  He wasn't dressed in uniform, but instead looked a little like someone who might be a performer or something other than wait staff or stewards.  We chatted a little bit and I learned that he was only 22 years old and had come all the way from central Italy to work on the ship as a singer in one of the stage bands.  His job would only last on Ecstasy for 2 weeks and then he would move on to either another ship or head home.  He had taken a huge step to work in this environment but said that his family supported him for pursuing his dream to be a professional singer and he hoped to make the big stage one day - his name was Phillipo.

I continued to feel that gentle nudging from the Holy Spirit to ask our director and manager about letting Phillipo sing the number that was a too low for me.  I approached them, saying that I felt we had a ministry opportunity and shared Phillipo's story with them.  They agreed that we should give him a shot at it and I was thrilled.  I asked Phillipo to rehearse the song with us and promised to stay with him to help with the words and phrasing. He said he knew the tune and felt he could sing it so he came up to join us.  We had a great time rehearsing with him and his accent was so cute as he sang "Save the Last Dance for Me" in his own sweet way.  The band thought he did a good job and so we decided that at the actual concert Phillipo would sing this song and I would stay with him just like we practiced.  I told him our plan and he agreed that it would be fun to do.  He had a huge smile on his face and so did I.  I was thrilled that he was willing to do this and I think he was excited to have been asked.  He had such a sweet spirit about him and a great attitude knowing that it wouldn't be perfect but it would be lots of fun for the audience and for us as well.  My first friend with the crew had been made and I knew that the Lord smiled.  

Around 11 that night, we gathered in the Starlight Lounge.  We had a small crowd but they were a great audience!  Several couples danced to our music, which included both Christian and secular tunes.  About mid-way through the show, I brought Phillipo up to the microphone.  I introduced him, sharing where he was from and thanked him for being so willing to use his gifts to bless our hearts.  He had a beautiful smile and countenance! He sang the song in broken English and did his Elvis moves and put his whole heart into it. The audience loved it and all of us in the band had tears in our eyes knowing that this sweet kid put it all out there for us and for the audience but we also knew that it had made his day and probably his week to have been asked as well.  He stayed for the entire show and heard the Gospel presented through the songs and testimonies that were shared.  

What a way to start off the week!! It was wonderful!  God was showing us that He had plans to use us on this big boat but not as we planned - but as He planned.  Rather than performing for the crew at large, God wanted us to get to know the crew on a more personal level.  Without being prompted, each of us just began to look them in the eye and ask their names and listen to their stories and we began to show them the love of Christ through our words and action - taking notice of the folks with the badges or name tags whether Carnival, Premier or Event staff.  It was a beautiful thing!  

"They shall walk and not faint"... We were so busy but our energy level was awesome!!

On Tuesday, we had a midday concert which meant setting up shortly after breakfast, doing a quick sound check and then changing clothes to be back up on the Lido deck before noon dressed and ready to perform.  After our sound check, I hurried back to my room to change clothes, fix my hair and makeup and get back upstairs.  When I got there, the door was open and the guys were scurrying about making it sparkle - some bringing in fresh sheets or towels and others cleaning and polishing.  I rushed in, and asked how long they needed to finish up.  The one who was cleaning tried to gather up his things quickly and leave and then his supervisor came in to apologize. They were both so concerned that they were in my way.  I smiled and sat down on my bed and told them to calm down - all was well and I just needed to change to get back upstairs for a noon concert.  They stopped and looked at me so funny.  They said, "Ma'am, we work around you, you don't work around us!"  I just laughed and said, "Guys, do what you need to do, I'm fine - I don't mind waiting - God has a plan and I'm right in the middle of it."  The supervisor hurried out and thanked me for being patient and I told him there was no problem at all.  Amru introduced himself and told me he was from Thailand.  He continued his work and when he finished thanked me again for being so patient and asked my name.  I asked what his name meant -- he said, "It means peace-maker - what does your name mean?" -- I told him that my name meant "beloved".  He said, "Wow! We have special work in both our names don't we?"  That took me back a little.  I said, "Yes, Amru, yes we do."  I thanked him for making my room peaceful and told him how much I appreciated what they all did for us.  He had the sweetest smile...I'll never forget that.

I changed clothes and got back upstairs, but my heart was changing.  My eyes were opened and I began to see people not just the blur of the crowds -- I began to notice that each person had a name and that each name meant something.  I began to see the crew - noticing and remembering that they were far from home.  I began to listen to their stories and ask about their families and how long it would be before they would see them again.  I began to listen - I began to love them...be-loved...I began to let them be-loved too.

The concert on the Lido deck was great fun.  The day was gorgeous, the breeze was comfortable and there were people everywhere! They were milling about getting lunch, a little sun, and a little fellowship to the sounds of the Metro Big Band.  It was great fun and even though we were more background sound than focal point, it was neat to see people nodding their heads, tapping their toes or moving to the fun rhythms of the songs.  "Days of Elijah" was one of the songs the band played.  During this song, a beautiful lady in a sarong and pink bathing suit began worshipping through dance all around the chairs and people seemingly in her own world of worship.  It was beautifully mesmerizing!  She cried and lifted her hands and twirled and swayed in praise to the King of Kings.  It looked as if she was part of our show, but she wasn't.  She was moved by the music and the message of the song and began to worship in her own sweet way.  Our hearts were stirred by her simple, yet vulnerable actions.  We didn't know that this first connection would be a deeper connection later in the week - but God did.  There was a young girl, cleaning around the stage - I believe her name was Melissa.  She was from the Philippines.  She asked about our group and told me she loved music.  She said she was so glad to hear Christian music and hear people talking about God on this cruise.  My heart melted. She said that her family was far away and she would get to see them sometime but not soon.  She said she prays for them a lot and misses them.  I had a huge lump in my throat.  After seeing that beautiful lady dance and hear this lovely girl speak, the tears flowed freely.  I was up to sing soon, so I moved away to get ready - but I must say, it was difficult to sing at best but "Blue Skies" came up and God made a way.  It was a magnificent day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment