Like Us On Facebook

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tips and Tricks Thursday

Hello Everybody!!! I hope you are having a good day today!  We got a storm last night!! I hope that if you did, all is well.  I usually write the blogs the night before but our internet and satellite went down so I'm here this morning. 

So...Tips and Tricks Thursday -- my good friend, Leisa, got herself in a bit of a quandary this past week with a bag of grits.  She was in a hurry to get supper on the table and had decided to make a delicious meal of Steak Biscuits and Grits...the steak and biscuits were doing just fine on their own but when she picked up the bag of grits there must have been a leak in the bottom of the bag because grits went everywhere!  She said to her beloved cat, Prissy, "Well, let's see what Mrs. Tips and Tricks Thursday" has to say about getting grits up off of everywhere!"  hahahahahahahaha!!!

She tried the vacuum and the fan blew them everywhere.  She tried the Swiffer sweeper both dry and wet to no avail and the broom really didn't get them all either.  I would imagine that a mop would make them sticky and for us Southerners, we know that if it weren't for the grainy texture of the grits - they could stick most anything to the wall - including wallpaper!

So, Leisa, for you today, I've done a little homework and here are some tips and tricks for you for your grits issue (and really any type of grain that falls on the floor).

A damp but not wet floor sweeper (the kind for hardwood floors) or a damp towel folded over a swiffer mop head would pick up the residue.  You'll probably have to chase them around on the floor a little bit rather than sweeping into a pile but that might be the answer.  If you'd rather get on your hands and knees you could use a damp - not wet - cloth to get them up.  (Leisa, I'm certain you are going to do that! haha!)

The key here is damp.  Wet will make any grain gooey.  Dry won't hold it to the material and will blow away.  Wetting the floor will make them swell and the glutens (I'm guessing) will activate thus making them sticky (them, being grains).

So....maybe that will be helpful to more than just Leisa and myself.  I'm sure I'm going to have a grits catastrophe too sooner than later.  In the South, a grits bag is just gonna get a hole in it from time to time!

Ok here's a gardening tip -- if you've got tomato vines getting tall and no baskets to put around them or stakes to put them up -- don't buy any -- get some bamboo.  If you have access to any in your yard or near water, the young stalks make great stakes and look pretty in the garden.  You can also make tee pees for your beans to grow on out of the bamboo too.  Just simply cut 3 stalks of bamboo at the height you prefer and then wrap the top with rope.  Sink the ends into the ground so that the wind won't blow them over and your vine plants will begin to grow over them in no time.  They won't get as hot as metal and you'll be using a renewable resource too.  If you need bamboo - call me!  I have plenty!! But it can be found pretty easily around water or in the woods.  If you don't have access to bamboo, consider using old broom handles or even the straight limbs of trees that have fallen in the recent storms. 

And finally, my eye doctor gave me a wonderful remedy for those of us whose eyes seem to be the victim of allergies in the spring and summer.  My eyes will sometimes itch, burn and get a glaze over them that kind of blurs my vision a little -- it's actually a little bit of makeup residue and can become a nuisance to tear ducts if I don't keep it in check.  Quick solution - baby shampoo.  I've been using it to wash my eyes and face for a couple of years - and my skin is so healthy and it truly does clean the makeup residue off my eyes so easily.  It's great for sensitive skin and doesn't dry it out.  My skin tends to get really oily in the summer time, and this is such a refreshing face wash.

Keep that sunscreen on folks -- enjoy this hot weather and tell someone you love them today!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!  Blessings and love!  Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment