Like Us On Facebook

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesdays in the Word

Hello Friends!  It's a hot one here in Alabama!  Hope you can find a cool spot in your world today.

Today's Word comes from Psalm 27.  It's such a beautifully written Psalm of David and one that has ministered to me for such a long time.  Here goes:

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.
4 One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.
7 Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.
13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

I've never been a person who walks in fear.  I've never really been someone who was hunted down like an animal, like David was by Saul.  I've never been a soldier on a battlefield in a war zone.  But I've felt so much of what David speaks of in this Psalm as I've walked with Christ.  Any fears that I've experienced have come from the battlefield of my mind where my enemy (satan) lurks to make me feel inadequate, hopeless, afraid and helpless.  There have been times when, standing up for what is right have brought the powers of hell against me - in the form of spiritual warfare, anger, lies, malice and such.  And while I've not been physically wounded - the wounds have been against my spirit.  The feelings of abandonment, rejection, wronged, hurt and all the emotions that go along with it - wounds of the heart.  Maybe you feel this way - maybe you've been attacked by the enemy so much that you are weary and troubled...afraid...tired. 

Like David, we must remind ourselves all day, everyday that the LORD is our Light and our Salvation - who should we really fear - no one can defeat the One who holds us in His Holy Grasp.  We must immediately cry out to our Abba Father when we have a bad day, a bad month - a bad year.  He is the One who shelters us in his safe dwelling place.  Good soldiers must take time to retreat in battle or exhaustion can take over their wisdom and reasoning.  Christians must know to do the same.  If the battle has gotten hot, give yourself permission to take a break and pull back from enemy fire - even if it's just to drink from the Living Water of the Word of God....one passage of Scripture can be Gatorade for your soul...in a dry and thirsty land.  We may not have the privilege of a long-term retreat - but we must refuel our weaponry - our armor must be repaired from time to time - we must get more ammunition - it's necessary to stay alive.

If you look at the progression of this Psalm you'll see that David begins with a question - reminding himself of Whose he is.  Then he acknowledges that his enemies will attack him and that they will be defeated when they do - not because of his strength or might - but because of Whose he is.  David has a keen sense of reality of what his life was about. He acknowledges that the defeat will come and that there will be a victory celebration when it does - that is steadfastness in knowing God intimately and personally.  There is no doubt in David's questions or statements - that is resolve.  David's cry out to God is a battle cry - it's a child-like cry -- arms raised - Father, Father -- be my Victor, my General - go before me in this battle - it's submission and acknowledgement of Who is in control.  It's not laziness or surrender in defeat.  His cry is a faithful cry -- it is the desire to NOT go it alone in battle...that's faith and complete trust.  There is desperation for God not to turn away or to turn David over to his enemies - that's the humanity.  David knows he will fail if God isn't with him.  He knows his cause is a lost cause if it's not to glorify God...that's humility.  And then his last words, he reminds himself that this season of warfare is temporary - there will be a season of peace - time will change and that he will see God's goodness in people "in the land of the living" - that's here in this life - not just eternity and he reminds himself just to wait and trust in God - that's hope. 

I love this Psalm.  I love God's Word.  I don't spend near enough time in it - but the nuggets of truth that He breathes over me when I do bring a washing of peace that I cannot explain.  Every step I've made over the course of the last 7 years, God has spoken to me these words - be strong and courageous - do not fear.  I've read them over and over and over again.  In this world we WILL have trouble - but take heart - for I (Jesus) have overcome the world.  That's a double promise -- life IS going to be hard - but JESUS has defeated it for us. 

I hope this has been an encouragement to you this day...

Until tomorrow - be blessed...not stressed!  Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment