Like Us On Facebook

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kitchen Tuesday

Hello Everyone!!! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!  I'm sure some of you noticed that I didn't post a blog for yesterday.  I was so busy with the grill and the cooking that I just didn't get it done!  We'll pick up with spiritual gifts next week, I promise!

Today is Kitchen Tuesday.  I'm going to give you a great recipe for a dry rub for ribs -- whew - it's good!  And I'm going to share a few entertaining tips that I've enjoyed.  And then...I have a treat for you at the end...you're gonna love it!

Dry Rub for Ribs -

1/3 cup sugar
1 T. paprika
1/2 T (1 1/2 t.) cumin
1/2 T chili powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. cayenne pepper
Sea salt and Fresh Ground pepper to taste

All measurements are approximate -- mix and taste - mix and taste --

Mix all ingredients together and rub all over meat.  Be sure it's fully coated and rub it into the meat. 

Grill or bake according to your preference.  I baked my ribs covered for about 3 hours on 200F in my oven and then dried them out the next day on the grill -- the meat literally fell off the bone -- so so so good!

Easy decorating tips for Cookouts or casual dining.  If you are planning a casual dinner around the grill make the best of your surroundings by dressing them up just a little...easy and inexpensive decor will make it fun for everyone.

For napkins - rather than using paper - I buy themed dish towels at the Dollar Tree or anywhere that has them priced inexpensively.  The dish towels soak up BBQ sauce so much better, look cute and when washed make great napkins or additions to the dish towel collection.  I never buy paper napkins anymore.

For plates -- use your casual dinner ware rather than Styrofoam or paper plates.  This, of course is useful when having a small crowd -- or - buy end of season melamine plates at clearance and start a collection to use for a larger crowd. If you use disposable plates, please use some that are bio-degradable.

Flatware - why not invest in some extra flatware rather than using plastic which will inevitably break?  Clearance items and thrift stores have great buys in these useful tools and if you don't want to use them regularly - just store them in Ziploc bags. 

Glassware - again, discount stores have great buys in glassware and plastic ware or use mason jars.  If you invest in it a little at a time (especially end of season) - you can store everything away and pull it out at party time.


I've just found that disposable dinnerware is just wasteful.  It's expensive and I usually have dishes to wash anyway - so adding a few plates, cups and flatware really isn't much more work.  Putting everything away in a plastic tote makes it easy to pull out and use each time and makes my guests feel much more welcome.

Tablecloths -- There's nothing worse than an old plastic tablecloth that blows into all the food - getting it everywhere!  I like to use old quilts (washable ones), fleece throws or decorator fabric for table cloths.  They are much heavier and in combination can make a cute table!  2 colors of solid fleece throws make a great team party -- quilts and old china make a great outdoor afternoon tea - and remnants of decorator fabric can be purchased so inexpensively and just tie knots in the edges to give it extra weight -- don't bother finishing the edges -- either leave the selvage or trim it with pinking shears.

Centerpiece -- use an old pitcher and fill it with what I like to call "yard flowers" - whatever happens to be growing at the time -- pick in bulk and place in the pitcher and voila!  you have a floral arrangement!  Or if you put your indoor plants outside in the summer -- pick a pretty one and put it in the table.  Use a collection of 3 of most anything and that will make a pretty table centerpiece.  Don't be afraid to use your inside decor outside.  It will make your guests feel so special!

Put canned or glass bottle beverages in galvanized tin pales filled full of ice. They can be purchased at the local feed/seed store or hardware store very reasonably. How wonderful to grab an ice cold soda or water from one of these while playing badminton or volleyball!
As promised - I have a very special treat for you today!  My dear friend Deb, posted something on Facebook this morning that I just loved.  She used some of Jennifer Rothschild's writing and added her own.  I have gotten her permission to print it here for you all to read.  I hope you enjoy it and that it blesses you as much as it did me! 

Gutsy Girlfriends of God say.......
WITH GOD, I CAN...
Elevate my faith more highly than fear.
2 Timothy 1:7
Do all things through Christs strength.
Philippians 4:13
Overcome through faith.
1 John 5:4

SINCE I BELIEVE GOD, I AM...
Gods workmanship.
Ephesians 2:10
More than a conqueror.
Romans 8:37
Beautiful.
Psalm 45:11

BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE GOD'S WORD, I WILL...
Trust God more than my feelings.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Rest in God and not be shaken.
Psalm 62:5-7
Never quit.
James 1:12, Hebrews 10:39

I LOVE YOU ALL....DO NOT BELIEVE ANY OTHER WISE! YOU ARE A BLESSED WOMAN OF GOD THAT HE IS FORMING INTO HIS IMAGE....IT WILL BE DIFFICULT BUT SO WORTH IT ALL.
Deb..

Have an awesome day!! Be blessed...not stressed!  Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment