Like Us On Facebook

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tuesday-Wednesday Combo this week

Hi Everyone!  We had internet issues last night and I wasn't able to get my blog written and posted so I'm going to combine Tuesday and Wednesday together to catch up! 

Since Tuesday was supposed to be Kitchen Tuesday, I had planned to share some wonderful salad dressing recipes since we're now entering into the best of salad season.  I haven't bought bottled dressing in so long, it's hard to remember the last time I did!  These are just wonderful and so very easy with ingredients right out of the pantry and fridge!

Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette

1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (less if you prefer)

Add all in a pretty bottle, cork and shake well.  Store in fridge (2 to 3 days if it lasts that long!)

This dressing is GREAT on baby greens, fresh spinach or as a sauce for grilled fish or chicken!  Very versatile, very easy and very healthy!

Homemade Thousand Island

1 cup Mayonnaise (I prefer Duke's light)
1/3 cup chili sauce (looks like cocktail sauce but does NOT taste the same)
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 to 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Put all ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a spoon.  Add more chili sauce if you want it to be sweeter and then add salt and pepper according to your taste.  I don't add salt and pepper myself, but I know some of you might like to do so.

This is a great dressing for a Cobb salad, Reuben sandwiches, lettuce wedges with fresh bacon bits and it's really good on any entree' salads because it's a little heavier.  This is my mom's recipe.  Be sure to keep it in the fridge!  Will last a good while.

Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar (I LOVE pomegranate/balsamic vinegar in this!)
2 tablespoons local honey
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 crushed and finely chopped fresh garlic clove (may use 1/2 t. garlic powder instead)
1 sprig fresh parsley - remove leaves and chop finely
1 to 2 sprigs fresh lemon thyme -- remove leaves and rough chop

In a small bowl add all ingredients in order listed except herbs and garlic.  Mix well and then add garlic and herbs.  Mix again and serve.  It's just easier to mix the vinegar, oil and honey without the herbs first -- seems to stay together a little better for some reason.  Using a funnel, pour this dressing in a pretty bottle and cork it for storage.  This will keep in the fridge for a few days - if the oil thickens, just let come to room temperature before using.  This is a delicious marinade.  It's great on any salad - especially one that has dark leafy greens.  If you don't like fresh herbs, these can be left out but I find them just divine in salads.  If you want to substitute fresh mint for the parsley, that would be a nice, fresh taste if your salad has berries on it.  I keep this on hand all the time.  It can be brushed on steaks, chicken or fish when grilling too!

I have other dressing recipe concoctions that I use a lot -- I'll add some others later -- but these are my go-to's.  I hope you enjoy them.

Now for the Wednesday portion....I read a devotional this morning by Sylvia Gunter.  I receive it each week and always find them to be such a blessing.  Today she spoke of the storms of last week and the contrast of the royal wedding -- here's the link:  http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs016/1101889363883/archive/1105374896010.html

I was so intrigued at how God showed Mrs. Gunter the connection of prayer and exaltation of God in both the storms and the wedding.  It was something I had not really seen in the midst of it all and yet I felt drawn to both.  God tells us in His Word, that "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." John 12:32.  We are hearing so many stories of people coming to know Christ through this storm and how His power and His glory are being lifted up in the recovery process.  There were so many viewing the Royal Wedding both in person, on the streets of London and on television and we heard prayer, Scripture and spoken word that magnified and exalted Jesus Christ as King of kings and Lord of lords.  And while one days' events were so very tragic and the other day's events were so very celebratory, the contrast comes together in exalting Jesus and lifting up His Name.  Seeds have been planted into the lives of those who don't know Him and I firmly believe that many of these seeds will grow and there will be a greater hunger to know Christ more intimately and personally in many of those lives.

How can we make a difference in these coming days?  We can give...there are so many organizations who are accepting physical, monetary and donations of goods and services to those who've lost so much...go to http://www.abc3340.com/, http://www.rickandbubba.com/, http://www.samaritanspurse.com/, http://www.redcross.org/, and so many others.  If you are a facebook user -- check out the Toomers for Tuscaloosa page -- they are doing an awesome job at organizing help specific to Tuscaloosa.  If you are local to Pell City - there will be a yard sale at FBC Pell City this Saturday from 7 until Noon -- there will be special care for tornado/storm victims -- and there will be a bake sale too -- please contact the church 205/338-9444 for more information or to donate.

I pray blessings to you this day -- exalt Jesus everywhere you go by action and attitude...He'll draw people to Himself if we'll do that....

Be blessed...not stressed!! Until tomorrow....Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment