Like Us On Facebook

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wednesdays in the Word May 11

Hello Everyone!  I hope you are having a lovely day today!  I'm in Pigeon Forge and having a GREAT time!  Please continue to pray that I find my way back and forth to these events.  Today, I'm going to be in LaFollette, TN at the First United Methodist Church.  I'll be sharing my testimony and singing a couple of tunes.  I absolutely love doing this.

I've decided to simplify my blog address so that when I'm at events, I'll be able to tell others about it and where they can find me.  So beginning next week, my new blog address will be http://amydrinkwater.blogspot.com/.  No Worries, I'll keep reminding you about the change -- but don't make it yet -- there's nothing there yet.  I've just reserved my spot!  :)

Today's devotional is about journey.  It's based on the Scripture of Deuteronomy 8.  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+8&version=NIV

I love this passage because it's such a beautiful charge to the people of Israel as they anticipated their travel to the Promised Land with Moses as their leader.  It's a favorite because God has led me there so many times as I've walked in the wilderness these last few years.  It has encouraged me and kept me going when I was about ready to drop my sword and give up. 

As Christians, we're all on a journey to the Promised Land.  Heaven is our destiny and this world isn't our home.  In light of all the tragedy, war, hardship, disaster and diseases such as Cancer, AIDS and Alzheimer's, I find myself so grateful that I'm just a temporary resident here but I know that my purpose in being here is much greater than counting down the days till I go Home.  You have a purpose too.  What is our purpose?  To live our lives to glorify the Lord and enjoy Him forever.  Everything we say and do should be done with that in mind.  When God calls us Home, we really should be completely spent up and worn out, shouldn't we!

Deuteronomy 8 recalls God's protection and provision during their deliverance from slavery and journey through the wilderness.  It lays out the promises that God gave not only to the people of Israel as they were facing the last step of their journey out of the wilderness but it also gives them a charge as to their responsibilities in being good stewards of this most amazing gift of promise.  It is laced with warnings of worshipping idols and other gods and the seriousness of not aligning with people of other faiths and how seriously God takes this.  But it's also filled with so much love.

I think I appreciate this passage so much because it's as if my Father sits down beside me and lays out His purposes and reasons for the wilderness season as a father would to an adult child.  It's clearly and plainly spoken and seems to answer so many of my "Why's" and "What should I do's".   And it forces me to look back and see the amazing protection that He has provided to me in my own wilderness journey.  I'm able to re-focus my eyes in looking forward to the future and be thankful even for the discipline that God has placed upon me not because of His anger - but because of His deep unconditional love for me as His child.  It's a reminder not to forget Him in the good times and to praise Him when good things come my way.  And, it gives so much perspective to whatever season in life I happen to be in at the time - because I am able to see that it's temporary and most definitely will change at some point.

So, if I may encourage you in your journey today, regardless of where you may be - whether it's being held captive to some type of bondage or slavery or whether you are entering into the wilderness, in the wilderness or walking out of the wilderness - or whether you are sticking your feet into the soil of your beautiful Promised Land...remember, my friend - God loves YOU!  He loves you so much that He allows these points on your journey to strengthen you and teach you about Himself, His love and to show you just what you are made of.  Hard times are part of living and if you haven't experienced any...get ready -- you will.  Just remember - it's temporary -- it's training -- and it's not Home.  Keep walking.  Keep reading God's Word.  Keep fighting the good fight...finish the race.  Lift up your head and don't walk in shame -- You, my friend, are a child of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

I'll see ya tomorrow....Amy

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete