Like Us On Facebook

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Roses & Chocolate Mint

Hi Everybody!  I hope you are having a good week!  I must say, I'm in withdrawal from the beach!  I've put a picture on my cellphone as wallpaper so every time I look at my phone I see that gorgeous view and my heart longs to be there...

My husband is a member of a group of people who meet each week called "Career Builders" -- it's for people who have been downsized to meet and encourage one another and learn about job search skills, current trends and use each other as a sounding board for ideas concerning career changing, job searching, etc.

Today a man from our local large paper, "The Birmingham News" was there to interview the members of the group and get their input as to what caused each of them to be downsized and how it's affected them personally, professionally and to hear their stories.  This reporter has been with this newspaper for over 20 years, has a family of his own and lost his brother in the attacks on the Pentagon on 9/11/2001 - which seemed to be the beginning of our most serious economic problems. 

As we went around the room today, each person shared their stories, their work history and experience and just a little bit of how they felt about losing their jobs and the impact it's had on their lives.  Most of the people there had a background in health care.  The reporter commented that he never imagined that health care would ever have an issue with jobs being cut.  The stories that were shared were heart-wrenching.  Some were single parents who had not only the responsibility of caring for teenage and college-aged students, but they also had the responsibility of caring for an aging parent with dementia or some other health issue.  One nurse had only worked for 2 hospitals in her career of over 30 years and was blind-sided with her lay-off.  She is solely responsible for the financial care of her family.  Her husband is completely disabled from a terrible accident and her adult son is completely paralyzed.  She has been devastated by this job loss and you can imagine how serious the financial impact has been.  Others shared that they felt their age or salary range was the reason for their unexpected dismissal and some felt it was because they had a high ethical standard that management just couldn't tolerate - in other words integrity caused them to lose their positions.

The one common thread that all these people shared though was voiced from the reporter.  He said, "You know, losing my brother, a solder, on 9/11 was one of the most awful things that could have happened to my family.  We've had other losses, including my wife's father who had Alzheimer's.  But there is one thing I know...I couldn't have gotten through it, moved forward and continued living and keeping my brother's memory alive if I didn't have the Lord."  When he said this, virtually every person in the room nodded their heads.  They voiced that God was their only source of peace and strength during this devastating time. 

I was deeply moved by that.  I know that in other places in the world, outside the Bible belt, a statement like that might be made and one or two people might agree.  But to be in a room full of mostly men and to see them all agree (women included) that God was their strength and refuge in time of trouble, ministered to me in a way that I find hard to explain.

While I was at the beach, the Lord drew me to Psalm 121 because of a new Bible study that I've just started.  The words in that beautiful psalm speak of God's protection and help throughout as if the Lord is almost yelling that He will protect His children when hard and uncertain times come.  In my own life right now, we are dealing with job loss and financial uncertainty.  I know that others who read this blog have been affected by a strained economy and that some have family members who are struggling with cancer or Alzheimer's disease or other devastating situations.  I think that hearing these people that I don't know all that well talk about how God had been so good to bless them with peace in this storm brought me such comfort today because I just got a glimpse of God's faithfulness at a different level.

Christians are being tested and tried by fire right now.  We're experiencing lots of spiritual warfare but we must remember that God allows this - not to harm us but to make us stronger, smarter, and more like Jesus.  This is sanctification.  It's not fun, it's not easy, it's not something we'd choose either.  But when we get to the other side of this, as we are promised we will, we will be all the better for it...even though right now it just doesn't feel like it will ever end.

God showed me today, that His church is alive and well.  He showed me that His people are united in ways we can't imagine.  He showed me that other people have tragic events in their lives that make my stressful situation pale in comparison.  But one of the ladies shared today that all people have problems and none of them is really greater or less than another one, they are just different and important to the ones who are going through it.  I thought that was such a wonderful perspective.  We do need to remember not to minimize the things we're going through nor do we need to overlook the needs of others because we feel ours are just to great to deal with someone else's. 

The people in this group also remarked that coming to this group weekly had built their strength to move forward and that they were so grateful for it.  That's how our churches should be to us as well.  We should never try to navigate through this world alone.  We need each other.  We need to build one another up through prayer, encouragement, truth, accountability, laughter, praise and shoulders to lean on too.

I serve as a ministry leader in my church specifically geared toward planning and implementing Bible studies for women.  Women are great at encouraging one another.  We talk, cry, laugh, vent, and share our lives with each other.  Men on the other hand aren't quite so readily willing to do this.  I find that to be sad.  Men need each other too.  We, as women should really encourage the men in our lives to have other men friends who love Jesus and build each other up in Christ.  Likewise, couples should encourage other married couples, parents should encourage other parents...we NEED each other.

I will close today by encouraging you, my friend.  Be strong in the Lord and of good courage.  The Lord is with you and will guide your steps along these rocky pathways.  He will be your protector and ever present help in time of trouble.  His grace is sufficient to provide for you.  His mercy is everlasting and He has left His Holy Spirit to comfort, guide and dwell within us until He comes again.  He has given us spiritual gifts to use to build one another up - this doesn't mean just using our gifts inside the walls of our physical churches - this means to use them to bless others in Jesus' name - especially our brothers and sisters in Christ -- why?  because we are a family.

Here is the beautiful Psalm 121 (NIV)...read it and believe that the LORD is where your help comes from....be blessed in Jesus' Name....

A song of ascents.


1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber;

4 indeed, he who watches over Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you— the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment