Like Us On Facebook

Friday, March 9, 2018

You've Got a Friend

I love Spring time in the South! Everything starts turning green and the weather begins to warm up too...and of course the pollen wreaks havoc with clean cars, windows and allergies. But what I've noticed mostly is that as the days get longer, my outlook becomes more positive and I'm just happier. I get over my low moments more often and I tend to laugh more.

I'm a contemplative soul though and sometimes I'm inclined toward over thinking (I can hear my girlfriends laughing now - they know inclination is an understatement) - anyway.... there are times when I'm deeply affected by situations outside my control - it could be the horrific cruelty to animals that I see on social media, a sick or missing family member and the outcries for prayer by their loved ones or situations that come to me unexpectedly. It's during those times that music finds its way into my heart to soothe and encourage my spirit. I can hear a familiar song but interpret it at a much deeper level or read a familiar passage in Scripture and feel it more deeply and grab hold of truths I need just at that moment in time. I'm certain that this is not based on my intellect or ability, but rather, it is the Holy Spirit's gentle way of speaking to me in the love language of my soul.

We are created beings - we dwell in earthly vessels that will die and return to dust - but the "real" person of who we are remains eternally. That's a deep and difficult concept to understand for me. I know that my earthen vessel, this costume, this flawed temple dies a little every day and I move one step closer to eternity without the aches and pains of it. 

Yesterday was the 11th anniversary of my earthly father's passing into eternity. Someone asked me if I was sad or if waves of grief had hit because of that anniversary. Honestly, I wasn't sad at all. I'm glad I remembered the day because it was the day that Dad was freed from a broken and diseased body and projected into eternity - victorious over sin and death. I have the beautiful hope of seeing him fully alive again in Heaven. I did, however, have a momentary wave of wonder - of wondering if my present frustrations would ever end...the wondering if my dreams would ever come to fruition or if the scale would ever move beyond the 4 pounds I have lost twice in two weeks...

And then, a song came to me - literally as I processed these thoughts - this song - one that I have loved forever came to me....Bridge Over Troubled Waters This ties into last week's blog "Bridges" so well because of the visual that God had given me about my own personal purpose of being a bridge....but this particular song spoke to me at a whole new level. Look at the lyrics:

Bridge over Troubled Water
When you're weary, feeling small

When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all (all)
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
When you're down and out

When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you (ooo)
I'll take your part, oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Sail on silver girl

Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Songwriters: Paul Simon
Bridge over Troubled Water lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group
As I listened and read the lyrics, I felt all those things, but what changed was the view of the person "on my side" or who "will comfort" or who will "ease my mind" from a physical human to that of the Holy Spirit, given to me by Jesus, the One who is always on my side, always a friend, always my Comfortor and the ONE who laid Himself down over the troubled waters of sin so that I can pass from this life and into eternity...

Today, I received an email from a sweet woman whose family is in crisis due to an unexpected job loss - this dear family has always been on the giving side of helping people but never on the receiving side. God gave me this song to encourage her spirit - with a whole new meaning to give her hope for brighter days. He has given me a journey through financial pain through unexpected sickness and job loss so that I could feel her pain and empathize more personally, equipped to encourage her, not out of shallow "it will be okays", but rather, God is faithful and can be trusted to act for our good and His glory.

I still resist the hard times as most of us do, but I've learned that the lessons we learn in the valley are never just for me to avoid pitfalls - instead they are meant to use to honor the two most important commandments - love God and love people. Loving Him by sharing Him with others and keeping His Word and loving people by encouraging them with His Word and His promises.

When you're weary - feeling low....when tears are in your eyes - I will dry them all - I'm on your side...me (Amy). Like a bridge over troubled waters, I'll lay down for you and help you get to the other side of your crisis -- but you know what - there is One greater -- who laid down His Life for you -- Jesus...the Great I AM. He is there for you - always. Trust Him.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 10:13 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment