Like Us On Facebook

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sunflowers & Sweet Tea

Hi Everyone - I've been canning and running this week -- you'd think I'd be skinny!  I made pear relish and pear honey.  If you've never had either, let me recommend both to you...they are just yummy.

Several people have asked me how to serve these two items and the obvious would be to put pear relish on fresh vegetables - such as peas and greens.  It's also great on grilled meats - especially pork and fish -- haven't tried it on chicken but I bet it'd be great!  I ventured out a little and put it on a deli type sandwich this week -- lightly toasted sub roll, a little lite mayo, fresh deli turkey/ham, a little lettuce, and pear relish -- the subtle sweet/hot in it -- whew!  delish!!

Pear honey tastes a lot like preserves but it's not quite as thick.  Pancakes, biscuits, and french toast would soak up this goodness - but what about putting it in baked sweet potatoes, over ice cream or topping warm pound cake!  Makes my mouth water just to think about it!

Next week is salsa week at the Drinkwater cantina...so excited!  I bought fresh cilantro, fresh jalepenos, and fresh organic garlic today -- hoping to go get tomatoes Monday or Tuesday -- yummmmmmmy!!

My dear friend, Leisa, forwarded a quick tip for removing ticks that I wanted to pass along -- I know that is a paradigm shift from preserves to salsa to pesty insects - but the ticks have been bad this year -- so here you go -- if a tick is "stuck" to your skin or pet's skin, put a drop of dishwashing liquid over the body of the tick to cover it.  Let it stand on there and the tick will remove it's stinger - he will be easy to remove when this happens and won't leave any dangerous residue in the skin.  Give it a try if you should happen to acquire one of this icky creatures!  :)  Thanks Leisa, for the great tip!

This week has been stressful and without going into a lot of detail, I would just like to ask you to pray for me and for my family.  We need direction, favor over our finances, protection on our journey and rest for our bodies.  I know very few people right now who are just having an easy, happy-go-lucky time and I know times are tough.  As Christians, we have always have a place to run and be safe -- The Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run in and they are safe...Proverbs 18:10.  This whole chapter is a great commentary on the actions of the foolish and the wise and a reminder that we really can't find any security whatsoever in earthly addiction to "things, money or people".  I went to lunch and did a little window shopping with two of my favorite girlfriends today and in one of the stores we found ourselves surrounded by people who were just that...this store was filled with people grabbing at jewelry, showing off way more skin than necessary and rude to be first in line.  Very few people were friendly except the store staff and most were walking around completely oblivious to anyone else.  Outside the store, people were talking and had no consideration for anyone who might need to get by and weren't interested in offering help if necessary -- and when we walked to our cars, we were followed by vultures looking to swipe up our parking places as soon as we backed out into the mere 6 to 12 inches they gave us to get our cars out.  And yes...this is the SOUTH! 

I found myself claustrophobic in that store - it wasn't that it was crowded - it was the spirit of materialism pressing in on me so hard.  I'm not trying to be self-righteous - I'm sure I've been "those people" in my own life - but today it seemed heavier than usual for some reason.  I found myself wanting to run into my Strong Tower to be safe from that oppression.

Where do you run when you feel out of sorts?  Do you pick up your favorite comfort food or drink?  Do you disappear into the internet and ignore the world around you? Do you lean on the Lord, your Strong Tower?  Or do you feel overwhelmed, tired, and want to run as far as you can?  Maybe you're like me and do a little of all of the above...

Let's commit to run to the Lord when life presses in just a little too hard.  Let's remind ourselves to call out the Name of the Lord - YHWH - Jehovah Jirah, our provider, Jehovah Shalom - our peace - Jehovah Nissi, our banner, Jehovah Rapha - our healer...

May you run like Forest Gump (Run, Forest, Run!!) to your Strong Tower first rather than later as trouble comes your way....

I'll see y'all next week!! Love ya!  Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment