Like Us On Facebook

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tips and Tricks Thursday

It's Thursday!  It's Thursday!! It's Thursday!!!  I hope you have all had a good day!  I got my "roots" done and a good trim today and my teeth cleaned -- so I feel like a new woman!  Ha!!  The laugh therapy that comes with visiting my dentist's office and my hairstylists is so good for my soul -- they are dear friends and treasures to my life.  So Thank You for making me feel special today!

So, today is tips and tricks Thursday -- we have been attacked by ANTS!  I have been looking for a way to safely get rid of these little annoying creatures and read today that a spray bottle filled with dish washing liquid and water will not only keep them away but will kill them on contact.  I wish I had known that before my dear husband sprayed my good cutting board with ant spray!  Now I'm gonna have to get rid of that -- glad it was a yard sale find, huh!!  I'm gonna give it a shot -- these are the little bitty black ants that don't bite or sting but just hover around food and cooking areas -- pesty little things!

I saw a neat trick for baking Phyllo pastry on Ina Garten's show "Barefoot Contessa" yesterday that I thought I'd share.  Phyllo is a delicate pastry that is used in making lots of Greek pastry as well as many savory recipes too.  It can be found in most grocery stores in the freezer section and comes in a package that is sealed and in rolls.  For this recipe, Ina and a friend of hers (didn't catch her name) were making a lemon creme pastry that had sheets of phyllo in between the cream.  In order to bake and remove the pastry easily, they lightly coated a sheet of parchment paper the size of a half sheet baking pan with melted butter.  Then they placed a sheet of phyllo, buttered it and then added another and another to build to 4.  When the last sheet was coated in butter, they trimmed and then scored the pastry for ease in cutting and then coated another parchment sheet on one side with melted butter and added it to the top of the pastry.  The two sheets of parchment enabled them to transfer the pastry easily to the baking sheet.  Then they topped the pastry with another baking sheet and put in the oven -- They put the pastry in the oven and baked it like this for about 20 minutes.  When they removed the pastry from the oven, removed the baking sheet and then the parchment what remained was a beautifully browned pastry that was flat and easy to work with.  Then they allowed the pastry to cool and began to build the dessert.  I'll attach the link to the full recipe at the end of the post.  I was intrigued by this process because there are so many delicious uses for something like this.  Scoring this phyllo into triangles or large rectangles would make a delicious "stacked salad" layering or a unique vegetable lasagna with that could be assembled after the veggies and cheese cook and would have crunchy "noodles" in between the layers.  Or what about a crust topping for a chicken pie?  How about making layering this with softened ice cream for a delectable and impressive dessert.  The ideas are endless and I just thought it was a neat process -- so for you "foodies" - this would be a great thing to try!  :)

Here's the link to the full recipe:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lemon-cream-fillo-napoleon-recipe/index.html -- looks so good!  :)  I'm gonna make this one for sure - may substitute chocolate for the lemon though!

This same show talked about adding dissolved unflavored gelatin to homemade custards -- they thicken better and are easier to handle if used in a layered dessert such as this.  Never had heard of that but thought it was a great tip.

My friend, Lisa, asked a question this afternoon about coating berries in flour before adding them to a wet mixture when making breads and muffins.  This is a great tip -- if you coat berries or nuts lightly with flour before adding them to your recipes, they will distribute evenly through your dough and won't sink to the bottom and burn.

For cobblers, I learned recently that if you will add two tablespoons of cornstarch to the sugar before adding it to your fruit it will coat the fruit and will make a smoother "sauce" in your cobbler filling. 

Decorating tip -- got more mint, basil, sage, thyme or dill than you can use for cooking?  Use it in your flower arrangements!  It's just lovely with daisies, sunflowers or roses and will add a fresh aroma to your home too!  If it blossoms, no worries, just add them to your cut flowers - so pretty!

Funny "Amy Adventure" before I go...most of you know that I drive a convertible.  I've found that people assume that someone who drives one has a carefree life with and that convertible driving is a luxurious thing....well, not always.  I drive a Saab.  Anyone who knows about these cars, knows that they are temperamental and quirky at best (sounds a lot like its owner).  Well, today as I was finishing up with getting my hair done, a lady came in and had her little girl with her -- Stacey was finishing up my hair and told me she was getting it all gorgeous to go mess it up with the wind in my hair in the convertible.  The lady said, "Oh, is that your car out there?  That's just gorgeous - it must be so great to have the option to drive with the top down all the time."  I smiled and told her absolutely it's a wonderful blessing to have that option -- right now, though, I don't have that option.  She looked at me funny.  I said, "Oh, I have a choice, but not an option."  She said, "What do you mean?"  I said, Well, right now I can't get the top up on my little cute car.  I have a choice - I can drive on sunny days...or not."  Someone else in there asked what I do on rainy days or if I get caught in the rain.  I said, "Well, I either stay at home or I pray."  And then I shared with them that I was at my Mother's house a couple of days ago and it was beginning to sprinkle.  I looked up at the Heavens and said, "Lord, you know my situation (situation being I couldn't get the top up on my car)...I'd so appreciate it if you could hold off this rain until I can get home."  I pulled out of my Mom's carport and began to drive home.  The rain got a little harder - still sprinkling though -- and I just knew I was gonna get caught by every light -- Not so...the lights were green and I was able to keep moving -- and when I got about halfway home...guess what?  The rain stopped and I got home, dry and just fine.  After I was safely parked and inside -- we got a wonderful rain shower.  So, I'm not sure if this little adventure is something that will happen every time I get caught in the rain, but I know that that night, God heard and answered my prayer...He really does listen! 

I need to get the car fixed, and will when the funds are available - but it's a trip to Atlanta and I have no idea how much it will cost -- but this redneck convertible IS fun to drive and gets me where I need to go -- I'm hot, have stringy hair, and a redneck tan when I get there...but it's almost paid for and it gets good gas mileage -- and I DO have the choice of driving with the top down on occasion -- right now the choice is made for me...I'm just glad it's not winter time!

Hope y'all have a great evening....Love ya!  Amy

"Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always."  Psalm 105:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment